The story teller in me is just not satisfied with telling our story by photo alone. My wish is to share with all of you our moments in time, as we grow and become what God has in-store for this family. Of course, being able to do this in person would be fabulous, but I don't want to miss any opportunities to share this gift that God has given to me. Enjoy!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

New Heights



I remember so clearly how I loved to climb trees when I was younger. Feeling the exhilaration every time the tree swayed in the wind, or the sheer power of strength as I looked down on what I had accomplished. I do not remember fearing the fall or what broken bones would have to mend if I did. Everything about tree climbing was so good. Now today I do not relish a good high tree climb, or a sway in it's mighty branches, or the pure joy of having subdued the tree and it's challenge. I find that now I focus on how to get safely on the first branch, settle for twenty feet high at best, and God forbid I fall because who will tend the little ones while I mend? I have a whole new perspective on tree climbing and in a way it reminds me each day of what I have lost as I have grown.
Kaleb comes by his desires quite naturally I must admit. He is a tree conqueror and he may just put me to shame. He loves to climb trees, pull branches to make just the perfect rocket ship, and sing like a canary while all the passers-by wonder where it is coming from. Yesterday he entered into a new arena entirely and even as I ran back inside to grab the camera I wondered if that was the right thing to do. Kaleb figured out how to climb our monkey tail tree in the front yard. It is probably close to thirty feet tall and it's top has started to grow into our cable t.v. wire from the main post. I know this because I looked at those branches last fall and thought I really should trim them back before they took out the line. Problem was that the tree is pretty tall, too tall for a ladder so I would have to climb it, well in all seriousness I'm scared. I know you might be thinking why would I not just defer this task to my hubby BUT for those of you that know my family line and the incredible strength it's women possess, well then you know the answer. Even this spring I thought I really should get up there and do the trimming but alas it still needs to be done.
Anyway, this is about Kaleb and his herculean climbing prowess. It seems my son is part monkey and for all the times I call him "monkey butt" the name seems to fit better and better. After seeing dear Kaleb up in the tree I decided I could kill two thing with one stone. Not only will I let him practice his climbing abilities but I am going to teach him how to use the lopers(a.k.a. tree trimmers)! That way I will not lose face with deferring the project to my husband which must be avoided at all costs, and I will not have to nurse any broken bones/spirit should I fall out of that tree. It's a win win pure and simple, thank you Kaleb!!

No comments:

Post a Comment